In September of 2006, we were commisioned by the King David Masonic Lodge of San Luis Obispo, California to paint a series of four murals in their newly remodelled dining room. The theme of the murals was very specific. The designs feature the history and meaningful symbols pertinent to Masonic lore. We had to do a lot of research, interviewing some of the old time Masons of the lodge as well as scouring the internet. The project was completed in May of 2007 with the grand opening and unveiling. The Free Masons were well pleased with the result.
[Click any image below to activate slideshow]
- The main mural at King David Masonic Lodge #209 measures 7 x 16 feet.
- The Free Mason’s square and compass design is a frequent motif. They are an architect’s tools of the trade. The “G” stands for “Grand Architect” i.e., “God.”
- George Washington was a Master Mason and Benjamin Franklin was a Free Mason.
- The All Seeing Eye of God is a very prominent feature of masonic symbology. The seven six-pointed stars represent the seven Liberal Arts & Sciences: Grammar, Rhetoric, Logic, Arithmetic, Geometry, Music, and Astronomy.
- The stylized Templar Knight beneath the cross and crown represents Religion, Righteousness, and Fortitude, qualities to be emulated by any true Free Mason.